Please Add Widget from here
  • BTCBitcoin$6,523.900.75%
  • ETHEthereum$206.000.4%
  • LTCLitecoin$53.15-0.25%
16 INDIVIDUALS SUSPECTED TO BE INVOLVED IN CRYPTO JACKING WE...
Altcoin News

16 INDIVIDUALS SUSPECTED TO BE INVOLVED IN CRYPTO JACKING WERE ARRESTED IN JAPAN

The local news outlet, Asahi Shimbun of Japan reported recently the case of 16 individuals suspected to have been involved in an ongoing criminal case of crypto-jacking. This is a criminal case that goes contrary to the rules and regulations of cryptocurrency mining.

“Crypto-Jacking is simply defined as the practice of using unsuspecting users’ processing power in order to mine cryptocurrency.”

The local news outlet in their report, said that the arrested individuals are responsible forfor installing malware on victims computer. The run their own website to spread viruses via crypto mining. An example is the coinhive program which mines monero(XMR).

With this criminal act, the suspected individuals were able to steal the sum of 120,000yen ($1,084) which is just 70% of the overall money to be made, the remaining 30% goes to coinhive.

However, Hisashi Sonoda of Konan law school, a specialist on cybercrimes was against the fact that the suspects were arrested at the spot, he backed up his reason with the fact there are no decided case which is cited or used as an example to justify a judgement in this case.

Coinhive, one of the most popular and most used online tool for mining cryptocurrencies, especially monero, was launched in 2017.

Investigation on another case of Crypto-Jacking started in Japan by the police led to the arrest of another 3 individuals allegedly responsible for running a website that spread coinhive malware. One among the 3 suspects was ordered by the Yokohama summary court to pay 100,000yen($904) as fine.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *